As I have a couple of interesting use-cases that could benefit from these types of algorithms what better way to refresh my knowledge than making a simple mapping experiment solving the TRP problem?
Here's a short summary of these concepts:
- TRP - Optimization problem that tries to find the shortest route that passes on all supplied points
- Genetic Algorithm
- There's a population were each element represents a solution to the problem
- The algorithm progresses through various iterations, called generations
- On each generation the various elements of the population mate and create new elements
- The fittest elements survive and the weakest die
I'll create a map where the user can input waypoints and the algorithm will find the shortest path.